There are three different ways you can fine-tune the hours for a staff member:
- From the sidebar
- Dragging the timeslots
- Manually inputting the hours
From the sidebar
- When you click on a staff member or on a role in the schedule, you will see in a bar showing how many hours per week a resource is allocated for the duration of the segment. It does this by averaging out the number of hours required with the days of effort.
- Click on either the bar or the circle to fine-tune the hours.
- In the sidebar, you can use the slider to adjust the number of hours required for the duration of the segment. You can only drag the slider to 125%. Once you reach 105% the slider will change to red to indicate the resource is overallocated.
- Synergy will also check the rate at which this staff member costs and calculates the hours nominated, you will see the changes in the widget when you click out of the sidebar.
Note: The changes you make here will not be seen in the fee or in the budget if you are in delivery mode.
See also Splitting the bars.
Dragging the timeslots
You can manage the time for a resource more finely by allocating effort across the stage. This could be needed, when the work for a stage is done at a specific time during a stage. For example, the draftsperson might only be needed at the beginning of the preliminary design stage.
- At the stage level, click on the arrowhead that will appear when you hover over the stage, or circles. This will move the circles (role and staff) into a vertical position.
- The row now shows the hours the resource is allocated for the duration of this stage.
- At this point, you can drag the pill or either end of the pill to the date required. This may change the capacity the resource has. When you do this, it takes into account all the other bookings for this resource, during this time period.
- The grid shows you how much you are working on in that week.This means if you drag and drop a timeslot, it may affect your weekly hours.
You can also add two periods for a resource on the same stage. For example, some roles may be required at both the beginning and at end of a stage. Following on from the previous example.
- In the void of the stage, you will see ‘+ add’ on hover. When you click on this, a new pill will appear to fill-in the gap remaining in the stage. To adjust the hours either drag the pill start or end date to your preferred dates or click in the sidebar and manually do this.
- If you have multiple pills in the one week, the number of hours will update dependent on your current day.
- Clicking on a void will add the resource at 100% utilisation.
Manually entering the hours
You can also manually enter the hours.
You would normally do this when you are weekly meeting and reevaluating the effort required.
To do this you will need to have the arrowhead in the down position.
Then click on the grid icon. This will split your weeks up into cells. Each cell by default represents a week. Unless you have already split your week up into two different timeslots, then you will see them in this view.
You can manually change the hours for each week by inputting the number.
You are unable to input more than the scheduled hours into the week. This number of hours is taken from the staff calendar and utilisation but does not take into consideration your availability factor. If you try to input more than the available hours this staff member can work, you will get an error message.
This will update when you click out of the box.