PowerBI is a powerful data analysis tool. When you combine design and data you can create some very visually appealing charts and reports that show you almost anything you want.
Note: You can only build or modify Power BI queries using Microsoft's desktop app which is only a WIndows application.
You can download the Power BI from the Microsoft Store. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/
Download the sample data
From the Developer page (https://developers.totalsynergy.com/#jump-powerbi), download the sample Power BI file.
This file has some example queries already created for you.
Copy the access token from Synergy
You will need to copy the API key from Synergy into Power BI. We recommend doing this by logging into Synergy as a user with system administrator access so that you will have unrestricted access to all of your organisation's data, so keep this secure.
The API key is your user name and password combined into an encrypted string.
- Login to Synergy.
- Under your profile menu, click Edit profile.
- Under the ellipsis, click API Key
- Click copy on either of the options.
Connect PowerBI to Synergy
You will then need to paste this API Key into Power BI.
- In the ribbon, go to Edit Queries
- Then find the accessToken value in the left-hand nav.
- Paste the Synergy API key here.
- You will need to copy your organisation slug. Your organisation slug is found in the URL bar in your browser, after the word organisation and before home.
Your slug, a uniquely identifiable string representing your organisation. The slug combined with your access token gives you access to your data.
- Paste the organisation slug into Power BI.
The slug field in PowerBI is found in the same page where you pasted the API key.
Applying the changes
In the ribbon:
- Click Refresh preview.
- Then click, Close & Apply.
You will need to find expert advice if you want to customise your data. Here are a few links to get you started.
Perform simple queries
Changing the type of visualisation