Use the write-off credit note option when the unpaid owing invoice value will not be paid by the client. For example, the client has gone out of business and now is unable to pay the full amount of the invoice owing.
Add a payment for the part of the invoice that the client can pay, and the write-off the outstanding value. Write-off the value to stop it appearing in the aged debtor reports.
To write-off the owing invoice value:
- Open the project > invoices tab.
- Click to open the invoice for which you want to create the write-off credit.
- Select the page actions button and select the 'cancel or credit invoice' option.
- Select the 'invoice write off' option.
- In the write-off credit note creation page enter the following (optional) details, or leave these items set to the default values.
- Reason - type a reason to explain why this write-off credit note is being created. This can be printed on a write-off credit note document.
- Prefix and number - select an alternate credit note number prefix, and assign the next available number in the sequence.
- Credit date - set the date for the credit note document. Choose either the 'invoice date', 'today's date', or select a date from the calendar.
Tip: Make sure that the write-off credit note date is not in a 'locked period' in your accounting system.