Use this method when a finalifzed invoice has already been created, and invoice has now been found to be incorrect. The invoice document hasn't been sent out (shared, emailed, posted) to the client yet, so you can still make amendments to the invoice document.
Canceling an invoice marks the original invoice document as credited, and returns all the attached transactions to WIP. This means that the transactions and the agreed fee can be re-invoiced to the client on a new invoice created.
To cancel an invoice:
- Open the project > invoice tab.
- Select the page actions button, then select the 'cancel or credit invoice' option.
- Choose the top 'cancel the invoice' option in the pop-up window.
- (Optional) Type a 'reason' for the invoice being canceled. This will appear as the invoice / credit summary note.
- Credit note numbers are assigned by default when this is created, using the default credit note numbering option setup. (Optional) Select an alternate credit note number prefix, and assign the next available number in the sequence.
- (Optional) Set the date for the credit note document. Choose either the 'invoice date', 'today's date', or select a date from the calendar.
- Next - learn more about printing credit documents.
- You cannot delete a credit note or a part invoice payment if it already exists for the invoice.
- Only your Synergy System Administrator can delete a canceled invoice. Deleting an invoice will remove the original invoice and the cancel credit note to allow you to re-use the invoice / credit numbers if required. Learn more about deleting project invoices.
- Canceled credit notes cannot be before the date of the original invoice document.