The work breakdown template can either be applied to the project when it is being created, or added to the project when you convert to using a full work breakdown structure. Templates include the default phase, stages and tasks that are normally required to complete a certain type of job or project. The stage and task colors can also be setup in the template to be automatically applied to the new project.
All the items added from the work breakdown templates can be edited as required in the work breakdown editor. Several work breakdown template examples are provided with each new Synergy organization to make it easy to get started. Try out using these templates, and ask your Synergy Administrator to update the template when changes are required.
Apply a template to a new project
- In the project list click the 'Add' button to create a new project.
- In the 'add more detail' section click the field called 'work breakdown template'.
- The template drop-down now shows underneath the 'scope of works' field. Select the work breakdown template required.
- Add the other required information for the new project. For details on each of the fields refer to the project create topic.
- Save to create the new project with a work breakdown template. The project is created with a full work breakdown structure, which includes the phases, stages, and tasks that were in the selected template.
Add a template to an existing project
- Open the Project > Work breakdown tab.
- If the project is a simple project, then click the 'add work breakdown' button to convert to using a full work breakdown structure.
- Select the page actions button and choose the 'apply template' option.
- A list of work breakdown templates are shown. Select the template from the list that you want to apply to this project.
- The page refreshes to show the updated work breakdown structure.
- Use the work breakdown editor to then update
- The names of the phases, stages or tasks.
- Update the fee type and enter an agreed fee for each stage.
- (Optional) The stage managers.
- (Optional) Add a scope of work for each stage.
- (Optional) Add due dates for tasks.
- (Optional) Assign staff to complete each of the tasks.
- Work breakdown templates are setup by your Synergy Administrator. Learn more about setting up work breakdown templates.
- Phases are only available to add in the Synergy Business and Enterprise products.