Use payment terms to create a list of the payment due days, which are shown in the drop-down list when creating an invoice.
What are payment terms?
When creating an invoice the payment terms are selected from a drop down list. The selected payment term is used to calculate the 'invoice due date'. For example if the invoice is dated the 31/3/2018 and payment terms of '30 days' were selected, then the invoice due date will be set to 30/04/2018.
Why use payment terms?
Configure the payment days options to apply to each invoice, which are used to track the payment with aged debtor reporting.
Add extra invoice payment terms to apply a custom number of invoice due days to an invoice. Add a payment term by:
- Go to: Settings > Project lists > Invoice terms.
- Click the Add button in the top right corner of the list.
- Type a number into the 'term' field. e.g. Type '30' for the invoice payment to be due in 30 days.
- Type a 'description' for the payment term. e.g. Type '30 days'.
- Save and close.
- Repeat for each payment term that is required.
Delete a payment term if it has not been used on any invoices. If the payment term has been used then mark the item as 'inactive' to stop it from appearing in drop down lists.
- Go to: Settings > Project lists > Payment terms and use one of the following methods:
- Single row - Click the row action button and select 'delete'.
- Multi row - Select the check box(es) on the row left for each item you want to delete. Then click the multiple rows action button and choose 'delete'.
- The list refreshes and the item(s) have been removed.
Tip: Unable to delete a payment term? Mark the payment term as 'inactive' to remove it from drop down lists.
Change a payment term to be 'inactive' to stop it from appearing in drop down lists.
- Go to: Settings > Project lists > Payment terms, and use one of the following methods.
- Single row - Click the row action button , and select 'edit'. Uncheck the 'active' box, and then save and close.
- Multi row - In the list check the box(es) on the left of the name column, and then click the multi rows action button . Choose 'set as not active' option.
- The list refreshes and only the active items remain in the list.
- Use the list filter 'all' to find both active and inactive payment terms.
- A strike-out style is applied to rows that are inactive.
Update the description(name) of the payment term, or change the number of days. When these details are updated all the existing records that use this invoice term will be updated to use these new details automatically.
- Go to: Settings > Project settings > Payment terms.
- Click the row that you want to update, or click the row action button and select 'edit'.
- Type a new description, or change the number of payment days in the 'term' field.
- Save and close.
When a large number of items exist use the search or filter options to limit the number of rows shown in the list.
Search by clicking the search button and typing the keyword into the search box. To return to seeing all items in the list click the clearbutton in the search bar.
Tip: Learn more about searching with the list search or the global search.
Filter the list by selecting the search button . See the available filters by clicking the word 'active'. Select a filter from the drop down list and click the search button to apply the filter. The filter options are:
- Active - the default list filter that shows the items that can be used (seen in drop down lists).
- Inactive - see the items that can no longer be used, and are only shown when still linked to existing records.
- All - see both active and inactive items in the list.
Tip: Return to the default view by choosing the clear button in the search bar.
Sample payment terms are automatically created with each organization. Delete or make 'inactive' any payment terms that are not required. The same payment terms are created for all industry types.
- Term: Define the payment due days for the invoice. The term field is numeric as it is for the number of days. The payment terms are selected when creating a new invoice in Synergy, and are sent with invoice data using Accounting add-ons to your accounting systems ( MYOB AccountRight Live or Xero etc.). e.g. Type '30' to make the invoices to be due in 30 days after the invoice date.
- Description: Enter an alpha numeric description for the payment terms. e.g. '30 days' for the term of 30. The description must be unique.
- Default: The payment term marked as default will be applied automatically to all new invoices created. The users can alter the payment terms on the invoice by selecting a different term from the drop down list. There can only be one default payment term.
- Active: If checked the payment term is active and available in the invoice creation process. Uncheck the active box in the edit screen to make the record inactive. Inactive items are removed from drop down lists, and future use of the item is blocked. Inactive items are shown with a strike-out style applied.