An invoice document are created automatically when the invoice is finalized. Learn more about how to edit, share, or email the invoice document to the client(s).
What are invoice documents?
Invoice documents are automatically created as the 'draft invoice' is saved, or the invoice is 'finalized'. Click the thumbnail image of the invoice to open a previewer window. The invoice document is created using the 'default' invoice document template for your organization. Default templates are selected by the Synergy System Administrator in the setup area for document templates.
After finalizing the invoice you can further edit the document, by downloading the invoice and adjusting the content if required before uploading a new invoice version.
Once the final invoice document has been uploaded you can then:
- Share this with the client to the project portal (recommended)
- Email the invoice document to the client as a PDF attachment
- Download the file to print an send by post / mail
Why share an invoice document?
Request the client to pay for the project works to date using an invoice. Options to get the invoice document to the client are to print and post the invoice document, share the invoice document to the project portal, or send as an email attachment.
When creating an invoice the invoice document is automatically created each time:
- A draft invoice is saved
- An invoice is finalized
The invoice document is created using the 'default' template for invoices setup by your Synergy System Administrator in the document templates setup area. After finalizing the invoice document a PDF version is created for each invoice version uploaded. The Word DOCX file and the PDF files are automatically saved in the Project > Invoices folder.
After the invoice has been created you can optionally chose to customize the contents by:
- Download the invoice DOCX file
- Edit the DOCX file as required
- Upload the updated DOCX file to create a new file version
- Reset the layout back to the default contents (removing any customizations)
- Switch the document template used for creating the invoice document*
(* This feature is available in Synergy Business and Enterprise products only.)
Tip: Previous invoice versions are available to download. This lets you compare the contents that were changed between each of the invoice file versions if required.
A PDF version of the invoice is created automatically for each finalized invoice. The PDF files are re-created for each new invoice file version that is uploaded. You can download the latest invoice PDF file version by selecting the download button in the invoice image box.
Tip: You can find all the PDF versions of the invoice in the Project > Documents tab > Invoices folder.
Use this option to download a Word DOCX file for the current invoice version. Update the downloaded file to edit the header and footer, or add extra text or notes or images into the invoice document that was created to match the Synergy invoice template.
- Go to Project > Invoices tab.
- Click on the invoice row that you want to download the document for.
- In the invoice document preview panel click the more actions button .
- Select the 'download docx' option.
- The PDF invoice file will be downloaded and saved into the 'downloads' folder on your device.
- The downloaded file can be printed and posted to the client if required.
Tip: Remember to upload the new DOCX version after you have made all the required changes.
The downloaded Word DOCX file can be edited to include extra content, or adjust the headers and footers. After you have added the extra content into the Word document you can upload the file back to Synergy to create a new file version.
Create a new invoice file version by uploading the DOCX file by:
- Go to Project > invoices tab.
- Open the invoice for which you want to update the invoice DOCX file.
- Click the more options button in the invoice preview image panel, and select 'upload docx'.
- Click the 'choose file' button in the attach file box, and browse to the folder location of the DOCX file.
- Select the file in the list and choose to 'open' the file to add it to the upload window.
- (Optional) Type a comment to explain the reason for the updated file version.
- Click the 'upload new version' button.
- The invoice document page is shown and the invoice image thumbnail is automatically updated to match the updated document.
- The upload process will warn you any document template bookmarks have been deleted. This gives you the opportunity to cancel and go back to the document to check the Synergy bookmarks, or re-download the DOCX file an re-apply the changes without removing the required bookmarks.
- Use the 'reset layout' option if you have updated the original invoice by mistake, and want to go back to the default invoice layout created by Synergy.
Use this feature when you have uploaded a new invoice file version by mistake. Reset the layout and the invoice document is re-created using the default invoice template.
Reset back to the default invoice template by:
- Go to project > invoices tab.
- Open the invoice for which you want to reset the document.
- Click the more options button against the invoice image panel, and select 'reset layout'.
- On the confirmation pop-up, click OK to confirm you want to replace the existing invoice layout with a new document created using the default invoice template.
- The invoice panel refreshes after a few moments to show the new invoice image. Click the image to open it and view the details, or download the invoice document.
Tip: The Synergy System Administrator selects the default invoice template when setting up the word document templates.
*This feature is available with the Synergy Business or Enterprise products.*
If you have multiple invoice layouts setup in Synergy, then you can use this option to change this invoice document to be created by a different layout. The invoice documents are always created using the 'default' invoice template option, but this can be adjusted after the invoice has been created.
Change the invoice document to use a different document template layout by:
- Open the Project > Invoices tab.
- Open the invoice row for which you want to change the invoice document.
- Click the more options button in the invoice preview panel, and select the 'switch layout' option.
- A card is shown for each invoice template option available, with a description of the template and an image preview.
- Click the card for the template you want to use.
- The document is updated to use the new document template.
Tip: Use the 'versions' option to find any previously created invoice versions.
A new invoice version is created each time:
- A draft invoice is created or edited
- An invoice is finalized
- The finalized invoice has the date or number modified
- A new DOCX file version is uploaded
Find the existing file versions for the invoice by:
- Open the project > invoices tab.
- Click to open the invoice row which you want to check the document versions against.
- Click the more options button in the invoice preview panel.
- Select the 'versions' option in this list to see a drop down list showing all of the invoice file versions available. The version number, created date, upload DOCX comment, and created by details are all shown in this drop down list.
Tip: Document versions can also be seen in the project > documents tab. Click on the file in the list to open it and see a list of the alternate file versions.
Send out the invoice document to the client using the share or email options. The share option will send the client an email letting them know they can download the invoice from the project portal. The email option will send the invoice to the client as a PDF attachment. Both the share and email PDF options can be used at the same time if required.
Share the invoice document by:
- Open the project > invoices tab.
- Select the invoice row to open it and view the details.
- Click the 'share' button in the top right corner.
- The sharing window is shown, and the invoice attention to contact is shown by default. Update how the invoice will be sent to this contact by:
- Portal - Check the 'share' box to have this invoice show in the portal. Select the portal access level from the drop down list. Recommended to leave this option checked to allow the invoice contact to see the invoice in the project portal.
- Email PDF - This option defaults to none, which means the invoice is not sent as an attachment. Select one of the email options to send the file as an attachment: To, Cc, or Bcc.
- (Optional) Share the invoice with more project contacts. Click into the 'contact' field and select a project contact from the list. Then for each extra contact added choose if the invoice will be shared to the portal, emailed as a PDF, or both.
Tip: The invoice can only be seen in the portal by external contacts that you 'shared' the file with.
Shared with - see who the invoice document is shared with
In the open invoice window you can view how many people the invoice is shared with in the 'invoice details' panel. Click the edit pencil button next to the number of contacts, to open a window that lets you view who the invoice has been shared with.
Use the 'shared with' window to:
- Remove sharing access by clicking the 'x' on the row.
- Add additional contacts to share the invoice document with.
- Resend the invoice PDF as an email attachment to the client.