Create the project types to group projects into your project revenue streams or portfolios. e.g. residential, commercial, retail.
|Setup required before use||Who can use it?||Where is it?|
Assistant system administrator
|Settings > Project lists > Project types|
What are project types?
Assign a project type to allow the ability to report on the revenue streams for each project type or portfolio. The type is assigned to each project, and if you need to breakdown the type of revenue further (i.e. by project stage) then you would use disciplines or cost centres for extra revenue split on reports.
Use the project type in reporting functions to group and add totals for items like costs, fees, invoice revenue and expenses. A project type is commonly created for business portfolios such as: residential, commercial, retail, education, hospitality, entertainment, defense, transport, government, justice, health, aged care, sport and recreation, industrial, and urban development.
- Go to: Settings > Project lists > Project types.
- Click the 'Add' button in the top right corner.
- Type a shortcode to describe for the project type. e.g. RETL or EDUC.
- Type a name for the project type. e.g. Retail or Education.
- Save and close.
Delete a project type if it has not been used on any project records. If the project type has already been used, then please make the type inactive to remove it from the drop-down lists to stop future use.
- Go to: Settings > Project lists > Project types and use one of the following methods:
- Single row - Click the row action button and select 'delete'.
- Multi-row - Select the checkbox(es) on the row left for each item you want to delete. Then click the multiple rows action button and choose 'delete'.
- The list refreshes and the item(s) have been removed.
- If the 'default' project type is deleted, then the top item in the list will automatically become the new default type.
- If the project type already then it cannot be deleted. Change it to be inactive to stop it from being used in the future.
Make a type inactive, to stop it appearing in the drop-down list for future use on projects. Mark a project type as inactive by:
- Go to Settings > Project lists > Project types, and use one of the following methods:
- Single row - Click the row action button and select 'edit'. Uncheck the 'active' box, and then save and close.
- Multi-row - In the list check the box(es) on the left of the name column, and then click the multi rows action button. Choose 'Set as not active' option.
- The list refreshes and only the active items remain in the list.
- If the 'default' type is made inactive, then the top active type in the list will become the new default.
- Use the list filter 'all' to find both active and inactive project types.
- A strike-out style is applied to rows that are inactive.
Change the name of a project type, to update what is shown in the drop-down list. If this project type has already been used, then changing the name will also update all the project that this value is already linked to. Edit the name of the project type by:
- Go to Settings > Project lists > Project types.
- Click on the row you want to update, or click the row action button and select 'edit'.
- Type to update the code or name for the project type.
- (Optional) Check the box to mark the project type as the default option for new projects.
- Save and close.
Tip: Change the name or code, and all historical data is updated to show the new project type details.
When a large number of items exist to use the search or filter options to limit the number of rows shown in the list.
Search by clicking the search button and typing the keyword into the search box. To return to seeing all items in the list click the clear button in the search bar.
Tip: Learn more about searching with the list search or the global search.
Filter the list by selecting the search button. See the available filters by clicking the word 'active'. Select a filter from the drop-down list and click the search button to apply the filter. The filter options are:
- Active - the default list filter that shows the items that can be used (seen in drop-down lists).
- Inactive - see the items that can no longer be used, and are only shown when still linked to existing records.
- All - see both active and inactive items in the list.
Tip: Return to the default view by choosing the clear button in the search bar.
Sample project types are automatically created with each new organization. Delete or make 'Inactive' any of these sample project types that are not required. The same project types are added for all industry types.
|Project type samples||Code|
Tip: Project types are added when a new organization is created. Use this default list as inspiration for what reporting you require for projects, and add extra items or delete items as required.
- Code: The shortcode description for the project type. Used for display on reports.
- Name: The long description for the project type that will be shown in drop-down lists and reports.
- Default: Check this box for the type that will be automatically selected when adding a new project. There can only be one default project type.
- Active: Active project types can be seen in the drop-down lists. Mark a project type as to stop future use. No existing records are altered by marking a project type as inactive.