Use the rate variations tab to define any special discounts or surcharges to be applied to staff or expense rates for this contact. If no rate variations are defined on the contact record, then the default standard charge out or markup % from rates will be used for project invoices for the contact.
*This feature is available with the Synergy Business or Enterprise products.*
|Setup required before use||Who can use it?||Where is it?|
Assistant project manager
Assistant system administrator
|Contact > Rates tab|
What is the contact rates tab?
Add special pricing to discount or surcharge the contact record for a selected rate. When entering a staff rate variation you can adjust the charge-out value for the rate, and this will be applied to all the projects this contact is linked to as the invoice contact. Or if varying the supplier expense rate then you can adjust the markup % to be a higher / lower percentage value for this contact on all projects they are linked to as the invoice contact.
The contact rates tab can also be used to import a list of supplier items to record the cost to purchase the items from the supplier, which will allow the items to be marked-up on a project when sold to a contact.
Apply surcharges or discounts to charge-out value staff, inspection, or office items rates, or adjust the markup % to be used for supplier / sub contractor / travel / cash rates. For supplier item rates you can use this type to store the purchase price for items from that supplier, and control the sell price (charge-out) for that item on projects.
- Select the 'add variation' button in the top right.
- Click the row for the rate that you want to apply the variation to in the list.
- Enter the 'effective date' for when the variation pricing of markup will apply and start from.
- Type the new charge-out value or markup % for the rate.
The rate variation for this contact record can only be deleted if the pricing has not been applied to any transactions. Delete a variation by:
- Go to: Contacts > Rates tab and use one of the following methods.
- Single row - Click the row action button for the variation and select 'delete'.
- Multi row - Select the check box(es) on the left of the row for each item you want to delete, then click the multiple rows action button and choose 'delete'.
- Click the 'delete' button on the confirmation pop-up message.
- The tab refreshes and the rate variation item(s) have been deleted.
Tip: If the rate variation has been applied to any transactions then it cannot be deleted. Rates can only be deleted by a System Administrator in settings > financial settings > rates list.
When a large number of items exist use the search or filter options to limit the number of rows shown in the list.
Search by clicking the search button and typing the keyword into the search box. To return to seeing all items in the list click the clear button in the search bar.
Tip: Learn more about searching with the list search or the global search.
Filter the list by selecting the search button. See the available filters by clicking the word 'active'. Select a filter from the drop-down list and click the search button to apply the filter. The filter options are:
- Active - the default list filter that shows the items that can be used (seen in drop-down lists).
- Inactive - see the items that can no longer be used, and are only shown when still linked to existing records.
- All - see both active and inactive items in the list.
Tip: Return to the default view by choosing the clear button in the search bar.
Tip: Extra filter options are available for rates types and tags. Tags can only be entered against supplier item rates variations.
- Name The rate name as defined in settings > financial settings > rates.
- Type The rate type controls where in Synergy the rate can be used. Staff rates are used for staff timesheet entry to charge their time to clients on projects. Inspection rates allow you set a fixed charge-out value for a site inspection visit. Office item rates are used to charge clients for items created in your office like color printing. Cash and travel rates are used by staff when entering their staff expenses. Supplier and sub contractor rates are used when entering supplier bills, and supplier item rates are used to record the cost and markup for purchasing items from suppliers.
- Tags Tags can be assigned to any supplier item rates. If a variation has been created for that supplier item rate, then any entered tags are shown.
- Variations The minimum value and maximum value for the rate are shown across all the entered variations. The number of variations that exist are also shown. Click on the row to see the full variation history and what rate pricing will apply for each date range.
- Current value The current value or markup % that will be applied for the rate on today's date. The pricing for a past or future date may differ. Click on the row to see the full variation history.