View the invoices or credit notes that have been created for the project. Invoices of all status options can be found in this list: draft, owing, paid, canceled, credited, or written off. Search for a invoice number, open existing invoices, or create a new invoice for the project.
|Setup required before use||Who can use it?||Where is it?|
Assistant Project Manager*
*Unable to finalize invoices.
Project > Invoices tab
- Find out more about creating invoices or the different credit notes options.
- The project (and stages) must be at active status to be included on a invoice. Learn more about project status options.
- Looking for credit notes? Use the search button to change the page filter to include 'All' items - invoices and credit notes.
What are project invoices?
Use the project invoices tab to view all the invoices and credit notes that exist for the open project. Search the list for a particular invoice number, or filter the list to see all the 'owing' or 'draft' invoices for this project. Open the invoice from the list to add invoice payments, save debtor notes, or raise credit notes.
List actions are available to modify the invoice or credit note numbers, or delete any draft invoices that are not required.
Switch between the invoice list views to see more details on the invoice values vs the amount owing, who to contact about invoice payments, and the number aging periods for an overdue invoices.
Click on a row in the invoice list to open the invoice and view the details. More actions are available in an open invoice like:
- Share the invoice document to the portal or as a PDF attachment.
- Cancel, credit or write off an invoice
- Add an invoice payment
- Add a debtor note to track follow-up with the client about invoice payments.
Tip: When debtor notes have been added an orange triangle is shown on the invoice row like this example.
The table below lists the staff security level required to be able to create invoices, credit notes, and payments. More details are found in the staff security matrix.
|Action||User||Assistant PM||Project manager||Director Access||System Administrator|
|Create a draft invoice||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Finalize an invoice||Y||Y||Y|
|Add and delete invoice payments||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Credit an invoice||Y||Y||Y|
|Write-off an invoice||Y||Y||Y|
|Cancel an invoice||Y||Y||Y|
|Delete a canceled invoice||Y|
|Change the invoice number or date||Y||Y|
|Invoice list (Organization or project views)||Y||Y||Y||Y|
Use this option on either an invoice or a credit note document. Modify either the invoice / credit note number, or the date of the invoice / credit note document.
Modify the invoice or credit note by:
- Open the project > invoices tab and locate the invoice or credit note you want to update.
- Click the row action button and choose the 'modify' option.
- Update on of the following details:
- Prefix - the current prefix applied is shown. Select an alternate prefix from the list if required.
- Number - the current number applied is shown. Type in a new number, or click the refresh button to select the next available number in the sequence for the prefix. Numbers are unique for the prefix selected, which means the same number and cannot be used on multiple entries for the same prefix.
- Date - the date currently applied to the invoice or credit note document is shown. Select an alternate date from the calendar if required.
- Save. The invoice list is refreshed showing the updated invoice or credit note document.
Tip: The number assigned to the invoice or credit note is unique. You can only apply a different number that has not been used on another invoice / credit.
Invoices that are still in 'draft' status or invoices that have been 'canceled' can be deleted if required by the System Administrator. When a canceled invoice is deleted, the linked cancel credit note is also deleted. Finalized invoices or credit notes cannot be deleted.
It can be useful to use this feature if you had to cancel an invoice that was created in error. You can then delete the invoice and linked cancel credit, and the invoice number can be re-used on the next invoice if required.
Delete an invoice by:
- Open the project > invoices tab.
- Check the box next to each invoice your want to delete.
- Select the multi update action button in the bottom left corner, and choose the 'delete' option.
- On the confirmation pop-up click the 'delete' button.
- The list refreshes and the invoice has been deleted.
Tip: Invoices that are deleted are tracked in the project audit.
Use the list views to alter which columns are shown within the invoices list. Select the word 'default' in the top left corner to see the other available list views. The invoice number and invoice date are shown in all the views. The other list views available are:
- Default - view a summary of the invoice value, along with any applied invoice payments, or credits.
- Invoice contacts - view the contacts that the invoice was sent to in this view. Click to see the details of the 'attention to' contact or the 'invoice contact'.
- Aged debtors - use this view to check the average payment days of the invoice, or the aged debt period for any owing invoices.
Tip: Try applying the status filter for 'owing' before using the 'aged debtors' list views.
Click on a column heading to sort the list in ascending or descending order. Sorting can be completed on one column at a time.
When a large number of invoices exist then use the search to quickly find the invoice number. Search for an invoice number by:
- Click the search button
- Type the invoice number into the search box and click the 'search' button enter to run the search.
- The list is updated to show invoices with the invoice number.
- To return to seeing all items in the list click the clear button in the search bar.
Tip: Learn more about searching with the global search.
Filter the list by selecting the search button . The filter options are:
- Status types - by default all the invoices and credit notes are shown in the list. Use the filter to switch to viewing invoices of a certain type: draft, owing, paid, canceled, credited, written off.
Tip: Return to the default view by choosing the clear button in the search bar.
- Number The number of the finalized invoice or credit note is shown. If the invoice has not yet been finalized then 'DRAFT' is shown. Credit note drafts are assigned a number when they are saved, and can be found using the status filter / column.
- Invoice date the date that the invoice is generated to be sent to the client. Or if this is a credit note, then this is the date of the credit note document.
- Contact the contact that the invoice was sent to is shown. Click the contact name to view the contact details.
- Status use the status column to view the type of invoice or credit that is shown on that row. The status options are draft, owing, paid, canceled, credited, written off.
- Due date view the date the owing amount of the invoice is due for payment. For credit notes this is the same as the credit note date.
- Total (ex tax) the total value of the invoice or credit note excluding any taxes. This is the original invoice value prior to any adjustments.
- Credits and Write-Offs (ex tax) the total value of any credit notes raised for the invoice to date. This includes all credit note types: cancel, credit, and write-offs.
- Adjusted (ex tax) the total value of the invoice less any credits excluding any taxes.
- Adjusted (inc tax) the total value of the invoice less any credits including any taxes.
- Payments (inc tax) the total value of any payments entered for the invoice to date.
- Owing (inc tax) the value owing or outstanding that the client still needs to pay for this invoice. This is the invoice value less any credit notes, less any payments.
- Attn contact name switch to the 'invoice contacts' list view to see the name of the contact that was in the 'attention to' field of the invoice. Click the contact name to open the record and view the details.
- Invoice company name switch to the 'invoice contacts' list view to see the company name of the contact that was in the 'contact' field of the invoice. Click the invoice company contact to open the record and view the details.
- Attn to contact phone switch to the 'invoice contacts' list view to see the phone number of the client contact that the invoice was sent to is shown. Click the phone number to call the contact on your device.
- Attn to contact email switch to the 'invoice contacts' list view to email address for the contact that was in the attention to field of the invoice. Click the email address to create a new email message to the contact on your device.
- Invoice payment days switch to the 'aged debtor' view to see the number of days that it took the contact to pay the invoice owing value in full. This column is blank for any invoice that is not marked as paid status. Try filtering the list to only see paid items.
- Aged debtor switch to the 'aged debtor' view to see the aged debtor band that any of the owing invoices currently fall into. The aged debtor groups are setup in the configuration area by your System Administrator. Try filtering the list to see any 'owing' status invoices. For non owing invoices this column is blank.
- Click the 'contact name' to open the record an view the details. Click into any of the other columns to open the invoice and view the details.
- When debtor notes have been added an orange triangle is shown on the invoice row like this example.