- Projects - The general details about the project like name, unique project number, project manager and site address.
- Project contacts - Add which external contacts are part of the project team. Staff cannot be imported to a project.
When projects are imported into Synergy, it will default to the login users primary office. It is not possible to import to a secondary office. You will need to change the primary office of the staff member if you want to do a bulk import to another office.
Six steps to importing projects
- Adjust the column names
- Adjust the order of the columns
Use an Excel export feature in your other system to get an Excel style output with all your existing projects and project contact details. This could mean you export these details from your accounting system, or another third party project management tool.
Compare the data in your Excel file to the Synergy Excel template, and check which columns are required (blue columns), and which can be left blank (green columns).
- Copy the data into the Synergy Excel template.
- Make sure you keep the column headers intact.
- Only copy data below the header section.
- Repeat this for the other sheet in the Excel workbook.
Make sure all the project details you want to import are listed, and that the data is showing up in the correct columns in the Synergy Excel template.
- Project numbers and project names are unique.
- Project numbers are created using a Synergy prefix and numbering format. Make sure you setup your prefix and numbering format to be valid in Synergy Settings > Organisation > Project numbers.
- Project managers must already exist in Synergy as staff with 'Project Manager' security access level or higher.
- Project managers listed must have an active staff record.
- Project status and project types are drop down list fields. Ensure that your options have been created in Synergy in Settings > Projects Lists before you import the data.
- The only valid text for for the column 'Billable' project is Yes or No.
- Multiple tags can be entered if they are comma separated. e.g. Tag1, Tag2, Tag3.
- Rate groups are pre-defined in Settings > Financials > Rates area. If you leave this column blank the 'standard' rate group will be applied.
- Each project must have at least one project contact if you want to import an invoice. If there is only one project contact it must be marked 'Y' in the primary and invoice contact columns.
- The contact names and personnel names must already exist in Synergy. e.g. Contacts cannot be created from this Excel sheet. Contacts of company, individual, and personnel type can be imported (Staff cannot be imported).
- When importing individual contacts to be project contacts, put their individual name in the company and personnel columns.
- The project names must already exist in Synergy or be in the Projects tab in this workbook.
- The role must be a valid contact role option that already exists in Synergy. Add any extra roles required in Settings > Contact lists > Roles.* For the following columns - Primary contact, Invoice contact, C/O contact - the following entries are allowed - Yes, Y, No, N.
- The portal access column allows only the following text: Full, Restricted, or None. If you are not sure what to use, leave this blank and we will apply None to each project contact row.
- Login to Synergy and select the 'Data imports' option from the main menu. This option is also available in the getting started guide.
- Make sure the 'Projects' tab is selected.
- Click the 'upload' option then select to 'add files' to select your completed Excel file.
- Browse to the location that you saved this completed Excel, and select to open the file.
- The projects import preview will then check your results, to let you review the data before it is imported.
- Skip any lines in the preview window that you don't want to import. Any lines that have an error are automatically skipped.
- Click the import button to import all the non-skipped items. The projects and project contacts have now been created in Synergy.