The easiest method to getting your Synergy invoice template ready for use is to take an existing invoice in a docx file format and upload it into the Synergy document template area.
Templates can take a while to customise, so we recommend getting started as soon as you can!
For more details on how Synergy populates information into a document, please read our help files here.
The process below is performed best on a computer. A majority of the editing and formatting of your invoice template is completed within Microsoft Word.
On your computer
Open your past invoice in Microsoft Word, and remove all invoice figures from the document and save a copy to your computer.
- Go to Organisation > Settings > Templates > Documents.
- Decide which of the two sample invoice templates fits your existing invoice layout and click the edit pencil icon.
- You are now located in the 'Edit template' area. Towards the centre of this page, click on the 'upload edited file' button and navigate to the invoice that was just edited.
- Synergy will return with a warning, listing several bookmarks. Ignore and continue.
- Save your template.
- Click on the 'Select bookmarks' button to bring up a list of placeholders that can be used on your invoice template.
- Add or remove the bookmarks you need from this area.
- When you have selected your bookmarks, Save.
- Click the 'Download file' button.
On your computer
From here, all Synergy bookmarks that were selected in Synergy previously will appear at the bottom of the document.
To help with the next step, in Microsoft Word, go to File > Options > Advanced > Scroll down to 'Show document content' > enable 'Show bookmarks'.
The 'Show bookmarks' setting will allow you to see additional grey brackets '[' ']' that mark the start and end of Synergy bookmarks.
Simply position all the bookmarks to the desired location. When positioning your bookmarks, make sure to cut and paste both brackets and all text in between the brackets. Do not edit or remove the text in between the grey brackets.
When you're ready, save the Word file and upload it back to Synergy to preview the results.
- Create a copy of the Synergy sample invoice template
- Easy option to roll back all changes made to a document if you're unhappy with the results.
- Make sure the bookmarks do not touch! As soon as the Synergy bookmarks touch, they break. Undoing the action will not fix the bookmark
- Enable formatting marks to show you spaces and paragraph marks to assist with formatting your layout.
- Make small incremental changes and upload to Synergy to preview.
- Preview is available in the the 'Edit template' page.
- Do not add additional characters or spaces between the bookmarks.