**Pro tip: Split your project import into small batches for easy troubleshooting. The import can be run at any time and as many times as required**
What you can import
Projects - General details such as project name, project number, site address etc.
Project contacts - The external contacts you liaise with on the job (staff cannot be imported).
Understanding the import format
- Columns marked blue are mandatory.
- Columns marked green are optional.
- We recommend adding as much detail as possible. Projects can only be updated manually in Synergy after they are imported.
- Do not change the formatting anywhere in the sheet (e.g. number, date, currency etc).
- Do not enter data beyond the last column of the table within the 'Projects' or 'Project Contacts' sheet.
- Do not rearrange the order of columns.
- Do not rename the columns.
- Use 'Skip' in column A to skip the record during import. Any row that contains 'Import' or is left blank will be imported.
- Do not change the sheet order within the workbook.
- If formulas, lookups or a general place to paste data is required, create an additional sheet and position it after the sheet labelled 'Project Contacts'.
Project numbers must be unique. Project numbers are created in Synergy using a prefix, number sequence and an optional suffix. Before importing, make sure the project number format you're using exists in Synergy first.
- You can create a new project number sequence by going to Organisation > Settings > Organisation > Project Numbers.
- The Project number column is a combination of:
- Project prefix
- Suffix (if applicable)
Project number prefix
The prefix is set with the project number sequence in Organisation > Settings > Organisation > Project Numbers.
Project number suffix
The project number suffix is optional and cannot be preset in Synergy prior to import.
- A project number suffix can be added using the 'Custom project number' option when creating or editing a project's 'Details' page.
Project name must also be unique. This is the project name that is recognised internally and is not usually populated on documents or invoices.
- If there are multiple projects named identically but use a different project number, try adding a digit at the end of the project name or another unique identifier.
Nominate the current status of the project (e.g. Proposal, In design, Complete etc).
- Make sure the statuses you're using exist in Synergy prior to importing. To add a custom status, go to Organisation > Settings > Project Lists > Statuses
Synergy allows you to record the costs on projects that you will not be billing. For example, there may be a competition or an office move that you would like to record time against but cannot invoice. This is what we call a non-billable project.
- Specify whether a project is billable by using 'Yes' or 'No' in this column.
Specify your the Project Manager of the job. All project managers specified in this column must have an active staff record and at least Project Manager access level in Synergy prior to import.
- Make sure the Project Manager name is spelt correctly without additional spaces before or after the name, as well as double spaces between the first and last name.
'Project Contacts' sheet
Add which external contacts are part of the project's team. Please note that staff cannot be imported into a project and must be added manually in Synergy.
- If multiple contacts are involved on a project, enter the contact as separate rows and reference the project name for each row. See example below.
- The project names must exist in Synergy or exist in the Projects tab in this workbook.
- Contact names must already exist in Synergy prior to import.
- If importing an Individual type contact, enter their name in both the 'Company' and 'Personnel name' columns
- Personnel names must already exist in Synergy prior to import.
- If importing an Individual contact, enter their name in both 'Company' and 'Personnel name' columns
- The role must be a valid contact role option that already exists in Synergy.
- Add any extra roles required in Organisation > Settings > Contact lists > Roles.
Primary, Invoice, Care of invoice Contacts
- Each project must have at least one project contact if you will be importing Project Financials later.
- If there is only one project contact, they must be marked with a 'Y' in the 'Primary' and 'Invoice contact' columns
- The following entries are allowed - Yes, Y, No, N.
Above examples available in import spreadsheets under Organisation > Settings > Organisation > Data import > Excel Import.